Creating one entity for Europe
High magnetic fields are one of the most powerful tools available to scientists for the study, the modification and the control of the state of matter.
Europe needs a dedicated European Magnetic Field Laboratory (EMFL) which provides the highest possible fields (both continuous and pulsed) for its researchers. Therefore a EMFL is founded that will unite, coordinate and reinforce the four existing medium scale European high magnetic field laboratories – the Dresden High Magnetic Field Laboratory (Germany), the Laboratoires National des Champs Magnétiques Intenses in Grenoble and Toulouse (France), and the High Magnetic Field Laboratory in Nijmegen (The Netherlands) – within a single body in order to provide such an infrastructure.
The missions of the EMFL is:
- to develop, construct and operate world class high field magnets
- to do world class in-house scientific research in very high magnetic fields
- to act as a European user facility, for the scientists of the participating countries, and for other scientists through European Transnational Access support
- to act as the European centre of excellence for different magnetic field based material characterisation techniques in very high fields
- to act as a European magnetic field production expertise centre for the development of applications of materials and techniques related to very high magnetic fields